From: Bharadwaj S Amrutur [mailto:bharadwaj_amrutur@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 9:57 AM
To: David Gross
Cc: stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx; pat_thaler@xxxxxxxxxxx;
richard_dugan@xxxxxxxxxxx; rick_walker@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Error handling in 64/66: Was Re: (Another) Question
Regarding Open-Loop

Hi David,

Your pdf suggests that in the E state, check to see if the previous state
is a T before allowing a transition from E-> S.
This doesnt work. Consider the situation where,
DDDDTSDD has 1 bit error in S sync, and 2 bit error in the following D and
gets converted to
DDDDTESD  due to a 3-bit error. What you proposed will let this through.

Other similar cases are:
ZZZZZSDDD getting converted to
ZZZZZESDD or:

DDDDDDDD getting converted to
DDDDESDD

If you really want to allow for a E->S transition, I would suggest:
In the E state, if (prev state was also E), then allow a transition
from  E to S. Because it takes atleast 2 bit errors to  be in E state for
two consecutive cycles (in the new state m/c where we allow
transitions from E to Z,T and D)  and it would take an additional 2bit error
to falsify a D into an S giving 4bit protection. (Maybe this is what you
had in mind and your pdf has a typo ?) You can also do something similar
on the T end to preserve symmetry. i.e., accept a packet in situations like
DDDTE(E+).. , whereas the current state m/c rejects it.

The question is what do we buy in return? If link bit error rates are low
enough,
the modified state m/c with E-> S transition will result in  a negligible
improvement
in the packet throughput. Also the link error monitoring is only marginally
improved.

Regards,
Birdy