Re: Link Status thoughts

Hi Rich,

>Tripathi,
>
>Please help me with a definition of and requirements for "ring
>protection mechanisms". My sense is that robust handling of
>signal_detect at each link element receiver addresses these
>requirements.

Yes, it does. Only thing is that since ring protection protocols (like SRP)
would
be running at MAC layer, the information about link status must reach the MAC.

>Please also explain what you mean by a "MDC/MDIO multi master interface"
>and how this ties into the processing Link Status information.

If the link status is going to reach only upto PHY (through the status
register 1.2) , the only way it can reach the MAC (mgmt
entity) is through MDC/MDIO interface. Since MAC mgmt entity is the master
of this interface, there is no way
PHY can communicate the change in link status in real time to MAC. If the
protocol is updated such that PHY
could become master, it could do so. That is what I meant by multi-master
interface.

Regards,
Tripathi.