RE: More comments (clauses 49 & 46)

Ben,

Good questions.

On R_TYPE, since the E is defined as anything that is not one of the other
frame types and a frame with an invalid sync header can't be one of the
other types, then it is implicit in the current definition that a sync
header violation makes the frame an E type but it should be made explicit. I
will add words to do so.

On your second comment, it seemed important to remove the checks for next
frame type from the transmit state machine because they impose a burden of a
pipeline storage stage on the implementation. The original walker_1_0700
state machine only considered an S block to be valid after a C or T block
and that check doesn't make the state machine harder to implement so it
seemed reasonable to keep it in. It also has some benefit as you state.

On the third ocmment (and also related somewhat to your second comment), it
may be that the frame type should be E when a frame is received that has a
control character of E in it. At least, if the frame is all E's, it should
be detected as an E frame or the end delimiter check on the receiver will
pass some frames to the RS as okay that should have had an error.

If a transmit machine is sending D frames followed by a T and then an
errored frame, it will send a the D frames followed by the T followed by a
valid block filled with the E character according to the change to which we
agreed. The receiver should get an error on the frame but if the block of
all E characters is detected as a C frame, it will pass the frame to the
XGMII with no errors and the RS won't detect the error. I think I should
modify the FRAME_TYPE descriptions for C and E to make a frame of all E
characters be detected as an E frame.

Regards,
Pat