From: Savara, Raj [mailto:RSavara@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 9:44 AM
To: 'Tom Alexander'; 'James Colin'; Luigi.Ronchetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
tripathi@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Clock Tolerance and WAN PHY

Tom and James,

This does not stop someone from specifying a product which will interface
with SONET.  As you pointed out, the optics, clock and OH bytes are all
within the IEEE spec, and can interoperate with SONET equipment.  The only
drawback is interoperating with another IEEE product which does not carry
the OH, which would drop information.

Personally, I believe the IEEE should adopt the full SONET OH and clock
tolerances.  This makes more sense, and does not cost much more.  The
difference in complexity on the WIS is minimal, and the clock tolerances
were discussed earlier with minimal cost increases.  Most people agreed that
the volume of the 10GE would drive the cost of the crystals down.  The
optics will be in a similar situation.  In fact, the jitter on the IEEE may
be more stringent than ITU G691, or Bellcore.  This means any manufacture
who builds 10GE will have no problems with SONET.

Raj Savara
Network Elements