Re: Clock Tolerance and the WAN PHY

Steve,

What you are actually referring to is Ethernet over SONET/SDH.  I will be
attending ITU-T SG7 next week and participating in the approval process of
x.86, a version of Ethernet over SDH.  T1X1 is also looking at
standardizing a version of Ethernet over SONET.  I attempted to get 802.3
interested in participating in these, but they did not seem to recognize
what was happening.  These standards will allow Ethernet data switches to
connect to the simple point to point SONET and SDH transmission
infrastructure with very low equipment costs.  It will also allow small and
medium size IT organizations to build long distance extended LAN networks
instead of WAN networks that need expensive WAN protocol support.  The
10GbE WAN PHY will allow larger companies to do the same thing.  The whole
landscape of long distance data networking is changing.

One of the major miss-conceptions regarding the WAN PHY and EoS is the that
EoS is required for optical sub-rate bandwidths that will be TDM
multiplexed by the service provider.  The WAN PHY is designed for full
optical services that are not TDM multiplexed by the service provider.  A
lot of the overhead bytes that are not implemented in the WAN PHY have to
do with active TDM multiplexing network elements.  The tighter clock
tolerance, even in the OTN is a function of attempt to maintain the same
old multiplexing nature of SONET and SDH, instead of the just the
operational management of the optical services.  The vendors that are
pushing for the tighter clock tolerance in the OTN at the ITU have a vested
interest in wanting to be able to multiplex a very expensive "digital
wrapper" around the customer's optical signal.  At present, there are so
many options for the digital wrapper that none of the different vendors
wrappers are fully interoperable.  Personally, I don't believe that the OTN
"digital wrapper" solution will make it in the market long term.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum