Re: MAC delay constraint

Hi Pat

pat_thaler@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Gareth,
>
> We did discuss delay constraints at the meeting. There were quite a few good
> comments on them in the ballot especially ones by Adam Healey which
> contained analysis showing that some of the current numbers were to small
> and proposed more achievable values. The editor's took away an action item
> to make the delay specs more consistant from clause to clause and to assure
> that d2.1 has a consistant set of numbers that will allow interoperability
> at our interoperability interfaces.

I wasn't aware of this until I received the resolved comments database;
it's one of the downsides of a multi-tracked meeting is that one cannot
be everywhere :-(
The reason I've restarted this discussion is that I believe the MAC
delay constraint numbers to be unduly severe, but going through the D2.0
spec and comments gave me a bit of a fright.

> I'm not sure what you meant to say in your last comment. We cannot get
> interoperability by just having an overall spec. We need specs that will
> allocate the delay to each side of compatability interfaces and that is what
> we agreed to do.

Absolutely! What I was pointing out was that Shimon's comment was
rejected on valid grounds (although he may not agree!), but that the
issue remained unresolved.

> If you want to be part of what's going on, you really need to participate in
> the comment generation and resolution process. Reflector discussions can
> help bat ideas around, but they aren't what changes the draft.

Again, agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately I've come to the table quite
late (mid December) and there was an awful lot of information to
assimilate quickly if I wanted to make meaningful comments within the
fortnight then available; the comments I did make were editorial rather
than technical for that reason. The full implications of the delay
constraints question only hit me over the weekend.

I do intend to participate more fully in the D2.1 commenting process!
There are too many observers of this process and not enough
participants.

> Pat

Cheers
Gareth