re[2]: Loop Bandwidth for 64B66B

All,

Anyone that wants to buy a 10.3125Gb/s 16:1, 1:16 mux, implemented in production silicon bipolar process, can easily do so by calling leading semiconductor manufacturers who may have such a part.  It may be in stock, with no availability issues.

(this is not a sales pitch.  This is a statement of technical feasibility).

Meanwhile there are other interesting issues in Vipul and Kamran's emails.  The market has many IC companies doing x16 mux and demux for 9.952 and / or 10.66Gb/s.  The common target is the "OIF" interface.  Most of those will also be able to do 10.3125.  In fact one of the beauties of this code is that it permits this reuse of technology.

All these existing parts have PLLs suitable for Sonet, which has a longer consecutive bit issue than 64b66b.

No PLL design in the 10G to 12.5G arena is easy.  Currently available parts do not represent the asymptote of the design art.  In a few years (decades?), these mux/demux parts will be in commodity CMOS, consume <1W, and be practically free.   Until then, GiGA and our competitors will compete to provide the lowest power and cost, with the best features.

So, are there any hard issues to implement a 10.3125G Mux/PLL or CDR/Demux?  No harder than for a 9.952G part.  The other details are at the implementation level.

As for the LBW issue on the mux, the objective on the Tx mux will be to have a LBW as low as possible to reject the nose on the forward clock.  The objective is also for a LBW as high as possible to reject the internal phase noise from the on chip VCO.  You can't do both at the same time with one PLL.

Are there implementation techniques to solve all these issue?  I believe so.  My company has its ideas, and I'm sure my competition is not asleep either.

What are the LBW issues required for reliable optical transmission of a 64b66b code?  Let's focus on these issues and then task the chip guys to optimize the implementation.

Now, can a chip vendor stand up and give us a comment on availability or issues of a Hari to "OIF" converter?

May we all share a Prosperous New Year!

Bill