RE: 64/66 control code mapping

I am in complete agreement with Brad here.

In Gigabit Ethernet, the PCS was defined in terms of the GMII, which was an
optional interface. In our objectives, we have defined a requirement to
create a 10 gig MII (XGMII) as an optional interface. From the perspective
of convention, we can argue that it is completely reasonable to define the
10 Gig PCS or PCS's in terms of the XGMII. We could also argue that it would
be appropriate to define the 10 Gig PCS or PCS's in terms of the optional
XAUI interface. But, I believe that we should discourage this approach. I
believe that it would simplify the overall structure of the document and
reduce the amount of work we have to do if we clone the same approach used
in previous versions of the standard to the greatest degree possible.

This should in no way impact optimization of practicle implementations,
which may choose to not implement the XGMII.

jonathan

The rest cut.... jt