RE: Distance Objectives !!!!!

Atikem,

A good start. One question on item 3, though. If a "campus-to-campus", dark
fiber based MAN connection is supplied by an RBOC, shouldn't we count twice
the segment length as the length of a MAN link? In other words, shouldn't
we consider 8 kilometers a reasonable target for a dark fiber MAN link? The
placement of a repeater at a CO location may not be desirable or necessary
in dark fiber applications.

My (limited, subjective) observations with Storage Area Networks
applications (Fibre Channel link extenders) has been that 10 kilometers
covers about 90% of the cases.

And then there is the possibility that some dark fiber suppliers may not
use the RBOC infrastructure, and that their routes may be along electrical
lines, railway lines or pipelines.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Vipul