RE: How much singlemode fiber is high-PMD?

Ali,

Thanks for your comments. My responses are interleaved below.

> Equalizer should not add more than 1W to be practical.
> Dissipating 5 watt's is very high for an optical
> module as many of these box will operate 55-70 deg. C
> with ambient of 40-45 degree.

I agree. At a later stage, when it is time to compare various
equalizer architectures, this will be a key criterion by which we will
rank the options.

> - Product with IEEE compliant equalizer will be ~ 1
> year after standard products.  What do you think the
> customers are going to do?

They will have nothing to lose and everything to gain. They will gain
the ability to run 802.3ae links over longer distances without
disrupting their installed base of 802.3ae links. They will gain the
ability to inventory and deploy fewer types of transceivers. (All this
is hypothetical, of course. As of now, we are an ad hoc group,
studying feasibility.)

>- If we can use a special path cord and avoid DMD and
> reduce power dissipation significantly then it should
> be considered.

Okay, we will discuss it. I was merely suggesting earlier that
equalization has the potential to eliminate offset patch cords. But
finally, it will be upto the Ad Hoc members to decide what
recommendations to include in their feasibility report.

> - Equalization will impact all variants later by
> improving margin for the link assuming it does not more
> than double an standard postAMP power.
>
> Does anyone knows what is the maximum power dissipation for
> XGP module?

I have observed that within PHY module manufacturers, there is a high
level of awareness about power dissipation being a key figure of
merit, and an opportunity for differentiation. I think you will see
power dissipation values drop to well below 5 watts for Serial PHY
modules soon. So as not to digress, I can respond to this by assuring
you that I will propose power dissipation as a very important ranking
criterion when we are ready to discuss equalization architecture
options.

Thanks,
Vipul