FW: modal noise, PMD power penalty

-----Original Message-----
From: Hanson, Thomas A [mailto:HansonTA@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 10:05 AM
To: 'Bhatt, Vipul'
Subject: RE: modal noise, PMD power penalty

I personally can't comment on Q1.

On Q2, consider that in Namihira's experiment both horizontal and
vertical eye closure contributed to BER - hence penalty.

I also believe that the reason Poole's original published penalty
formula needs to be multiplied by a factor of two is related not only
to the type of detector (PIN vs APD), but also (and probably related)
the horizontal eye aspects.

Poole's original formula would yield a penalty of 0.5 dB for DGD/T =
0.3.  The Namihira result - and the updated formula  - yield a penalty
of 1.0 dB for DGD/T = 0.3.