RE: Meeting

Dear colleagues,

It was kind of Jonathan to arrange a room for us for May 24 evening,
but I think we are better off postponing our meeting till the July
Plenary.

The original intention of the meeting was to prepare to do a Call
for Interest in July. But that was based on the assumption that we
will make sufficient progress by then over this reflector. (See my
email on this reflector dated March 19, "Market potential of
equalization at 10G".)

While electrical equalization is appealing to a small group of
vendors and customers, the public expression of interest in it so
far can't exactly be described as a groundswell. Therefore, I submit
that it is premature at this stage to prepare to do a Call for
Interest. Some have suggested that it may be more appropriate to do
a multi-source agreement (MSA) among the small group of interested
parties, but that discussion is off limits to this reflector.

I recommend that this ad hoc hold its last meeting just before the
July Plenary (very likely, during the weekend preceding the
Plenary). In the Plenary, I will request the 802.3ae chair to
officially close the business of this ad hoc. During the ad hoc
meeting, we will have exactly one agenda - a final decision on
whether a Call for Interest should be made in the near future.

Until then, please feel free to use this reflector for topics that
fall under the five criteria (broad market potential, compatibility
with 802.3, distinct identity, technical feasibility, economic
feasibility). I will announce the time and room number for the July
meeting later.

Thanks,
Vipul

vbhatt@xxxxxxxxxxx