[802.3ae_Serial] RE: peak to peak jitter

Petar -

Here are my thoughts.

From a pk-pk view, 99% should fall within and 1% would be outside of the
300mUI pk-pk boundaries. The distribution should not be wildly skewed,
and therefore approx half of the outliers should be on each side.

The intentional jitter sources we are adding (sine jitter and sine
interference) should be symmetrical about center (mean), and if
achieved, a peak veiw from center may also be considered. For this peak
view, 99% should fall within and 1% would outside the 150 mUI peak
boundary on each side. I probably wouldn't actually use a peak method,
except hoping it clarifies the pk-pk method.

Your last interpretation (1%-99% inside) leave 2% total outside, which
is different from my interpretation. Sounds like clarification may be
required.

For vertical eye closure, I have been thinking a little differently. The
vertical opening would be 99.9% down from the nominal logic 1 value
minus 99.9% up from the nominal logic0 value. Vertical closure would be
OMA minus opening, where OMA is nominal logic1 minus nominal logic0.

I understand the implied challenges in here on symmetry and linearity.

Indeed we need to guard against tails, as you say!

Tom