RE: [802.3ae_Serial] From serial PMD call 17 Apr: need more experimental evidence

Juergen,

You ask, have tests been made?  I don't think there is new experimental
evidence in the public domain.  I tried to progress it by simulation, but
simulation alone cannot solve the problems.

You say that adding of an unsynchronized signal is not the kind of
impairment you will see on an interface [in service].  That's right.  We are
using it as a convenience, to substitute for some bandwidth-limiting and
create pulse shrinkage, in a way that can easily be varied in the lab.  I
agree it would generate a waste of performance.  The question for the group
now is, how much is that waste, will we tolerate it and leave the standard
as it is, and if not, what would we change?

Piers