[802.3ae_Serial] Re: D4.3 comments

I need to say a bit more about my last comment about -L budgeting.

The top of the budget adds to -3.0 dBm.
  -6.2 dBm min Tx OMA
  3.2 dB TDP max

The low end is -12.6 dBm. Therefore, the total budget span is 9.6 dB. D4.3 says 9.4 dB, and this discrepancy indicates an error.

Option 1
  Reduce TDP to 3.0 dB
  Keep budget at 9.4 dB
  Allocation for penalties stays at 3.2 dB

Option 2
  Keep TDP at 3.2 dB
  Change budget to 9.6 dB
  Change allocation for penalties to 3.4 dB

Option 1 is my preference because it lines up with the 3 dB footnote, helps keep actual deterministic eye closure penalties a little closer to the VECP value, and changes one less value. In both cases, cable plant loss stays at 6.2 dB.

Note that the -6.2 dBm term for Tx OMA is 0.2 dB more than the 6.2 dB cable plant loss above the Rx's -12.6 dBm. This is because there is ~0.2 dB in the budget for penalties for real Rx's that should not exist in the ref Rx used for TDP measurements. It is in the spreadsheet, we have used this ~0.2 dB in each of -S and -E budgets, and it should apply here. If we don't, then we have ~0.2 dB of negative margin in the model.

I am sensitive to margin because I am also aware of the additional Fibre Channel market hoping to use the Ethernet hardware but at a 2% speed increase. The speed increase will drive their margins even more negative.

Comments?

Tom
Stratos NW
(425) 672-8035 x105