RE: Why wrong LINE rate could cost dear

Drew,

I agree with your position, especially your concluding statement.  Also, if
you allow the GaAs Industry the opportunity to compete with other
technologies in the same space (specification-wise), you will find we are
very cost-effective.  We need to hear more from the optics vendors on this
topic, and I suspect we will!

At 08:47 PM 6/28/99 -0700, Perkins, Drew wrote:

>It seems to me that we're drawing to a conclusion something like the
>following:
>
>Semiconductor technology is continuing to follow Moore's Law. That suggests
>that the next generation of silicon will support something in the
>neighborhood of 2.5 - 3.125 Gb/s since the current generation supports 1.25
>Gb/s. Some day, however, another generation (maybe the next) will support
>something in the neighborhood of 10 Gb/s. This may be using SiGe instead of
>Si. So, we should plan for two or more generations to occur: 2.5 - 3.125
>(G1) and 10 Gb/s (G2). Of course GaAs supports 10 Gb/s today, but is seen as
>being more expensive than Si or SiGe. So we probably want to specify a
>serial version of 10 Gb/s immediately as well, but we should expect that we
>may have to revise it when G2 becomes available.
>
>G1: For Generation 1, we will want to use a non-serial protocol
>implementation that leverages G1 silicon. This may be WWDM/CWDM/etc. and/or
>MAS. We may also need to do this because of fiber impairments that don't
>allow 10 Gb/s serial anyway. For G1, we may want to specify multiple
>standards, just like Gigabit Ethernet did. We may want equivalents of SX and
>LX. In fact, perhaps these two standards were well enough matched to market
>demands that we should copy the requirements and try to meet them. Also,
>these standards may have not set a good set of expectations that the market
>will force us to meet. I would propose that we take these two as baseline
>goals. I.e. let's use the same fiber types and lengths as our goals and try
>to work with them. This probably implies that we want an SX-like solution
>that uses 850 nm VCSELs, and an LX-like solution that uses 1310 nm FP
>lasers.
>
>G2: For Generation 2, we will want to use a serial protocol implementation
>that leverages G2 semiconductors on fiber that supports it. In fact, we
>probably want to specify and standardize a 10 Gb/s solution immediately as
>well for use with GaAs technology.
>
>Drew
>Ciena Corporation                 Email: ddp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>Core Switching Division                 Tel: 408-865-6202
>10201 Bubb Road                         Fax: 408-865-6291
>Cupertino, CA 95014              Cell/Pager: 408-829-8298

Fred Weniger
Product Marketing Manager, Gigabit Products
Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation
741 Calle Plano, Camarillo, CA 93012
Phone: 805-388-7571   Fax: 805-987-5896
E-mail: weniger@xxxxxxxxxxx