Re: Straw poll

My vote goes to option 1 (9.58464 Gb/s). Reasons are:

1. As an equipment supplier, I like to have components (a) which will be
potentially available sooner (b) are lowest cost.
2. Pass on the cost savings to the users and not require them to spend more
money on "rate matching" equipment for access to the wider LAN (or MAN or
WAN) - They are all converging anyway.
3. The OC-192 gear has always been said to be 10 gigabit rate, the marketing
issue is not as important as it is made to be.

On the lighter side, 9.58464 is close enough for all practical purposes!
This reminds me of a joke that our professor told in our first engineering
class (it is an old joke!):

A mathematician and an engineer of identical height were placed two steps
away from a 'goal'. They were told to reach the goal, each step that they
take should be half of the previous one. The mathematician took a paper and
pencil and after solving an equation said this is impossible, it will take
an infinite number of steps to get there. The engineer took a calculator and
after a few additions said: "after 4 steps I will be close enough for all
practical purposes" :)

Nader Vijeh, PhD
Lantern Communications, Inc.