Re: [802.3_10SPE] [802.3_NGECDC] 10Mb/s Single Pair Ethernet ad hoc materials are online

(cross posted to STDS-802-3-NGECDC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx &STDS-802-3-10SPE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Thanks for reading.

I’m the minute taker (should that be meeting notes recorded) in this case.

The specific note (for those who have not read the minutes yet) says

Reduced Minimum Frame Size David Brandt Rockwell Automation

 Presenter reviewed material regarding frame content use cases.

 Presenter’s conclusion, ROI of changing MAC to reduce frame size questionable, does not see compelling reason to address this.

 Individuals voiced opinions regarding whether a change in frame size would be a good idea in this project, including:

o Reducing frame size could introduce compatibility and network interconnection issues.

o It’s beyond the scope of a PHY project, impacts 802.3 MAC, and also impacts 802.1.

I believe that I captured the concern correctly as expressed on the call.

If we just talk about not padding up to 64 bytes, I agree with you.

If we consider trying to reduce the frame size to make it really small, maybe make assumptions like we can’t have VLAN tags, or MACSec then I think that is potentially of interest to 802.1. Does 802.1AC/Q today make any assumption about the smallest legal minimum MSDU size that can be provided across 6.6 Internal Sublayer Service (ISS)?

Regards

Peter

Peter Jones

Chair      NBASE-T Alliance