[802.3_10SPE] Objectives - power

Not taking on the daisy-chain issue just yet….

We seem to have consensus on a general power objective, but the question is whether we can/need to go further, particularly for automotive.

          Specify an optional power distribution technique for use over the 10 Mb/s single twisted pair link segments in conjunction with 10Mbps single-pair PHYs

To enable a 10/100/1000BASE-T1 environment, it would be good to say something about PoDL in these circumstances.  While there has been some controversy around how much we support/augment podl, I believe we have consensus that we could support it on the shorter line applications, and the following would do this, while still allowing us to define a particular powering protocol for 10SPE on (at least) the long reach.  Daisy chaining power could fit into that, for example.

So, with that, I propose for discussion, the additional objective:

          Optionally support 802.3bu PoDL, with possible augmentation, on at least the 15m link segment

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx