From: George Zimmerman [mailto:george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Freitag, 28. Oktober 2016 20:46
To: STDS-802-3-10SPE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [802.3_10SPE] Objective - BER

We have had some round-abouts on how to write the BER objective.  Ludwig had proposed a nice split, where the short-reach/automotive PHYs had a 10^-10 BER objective and the longer reach ones had a 10^-9 BER objective.  With that in mind, I propose the following objective for discussion:

Maintain a bit error ratio (BER) at the MAC/PLS service interface of less than or equal to:

10^-10 on link segments up to at least 15m, and

10^-9 on all link segments up to at least 1km

Do we have consensus?

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.