Re: [802.3_10SPE] Objective - fast startup

Hi Folks,

This is one that I have trouble with.

I think what is troubling is that with “run-time” configuration in place, there is some level of system/SW function required between power-on and fully operational. Without bounding that, I don’t see how we can specify a maximum time. The maximum time has to be “system_time + phy_time”.

I think the “phy_time” term in this case is the same as George listed in proposed objective 13 (below), e.g. 100ms.

13.  Support fast-startup operation using predetermined configurations which enables the time from power_on**=FALSE to a state capable of transmitting and receiving valid data to be less than 100ms.

I don’t think that we can usefully specify limitations on the system_time, so I don’t see that this additional proposed objective adds value.

Regards

Peter

Peter Jones             Cisco Systems

Principal Engineer      560 McCarthy Blvd.

Campus Switching S/W    Milpitas, CA, 95035 USA

Wrk: +1 408 525 6952    Mob: +1 408 315 8024

Email:                  petejone at cisco.com

Twitter:                @petergjones

LinkedIn:               /in/petergjones