Re: [STDS-802-3-25G] Cable loss vs. temperature question from today's ad hoc

Mike,

I know that as temperature increases, so does the resistivity. Doing a quick and rough calculation, the resistivity of copper increases a little more than 10% when going from 0 C to 25 C and about the same going from 25 C to 55 C. I've attached a one slide PDF of the insertion loss of a measured calibration trace at various temperatures and you can see a similar trend.

The reason for the failure due to the raw cable and also the reason why it only shows up in differential to common-mode conversion loss is because that specific channel in the raw cable has high mode conversion.

Best Regards,

Andy Zambell
Signal Integrity Engineer
Advanced Engineering