Re: [802.3_400G] Breakout Functionality Objective

I accept the utility of supporting 40G servers.  My question was really about how to do it, which you touched on in your second paragraph.  There could be multiple ways of scaling 8x50G to 8x40G.  For examples, one could slow the electrical interface from 25G lanes to 20G lanes, or use a fraction of the available throughput by dumping the excess/unused bits.   Neither of these is as simple as making collections of four lanes to form 100G break-outs.  I hope some contributions come forward that explore these alternatives, not just to show they are practical, but to show the pros and cons of the alternatives.  I am concerned with needing complex high-speed gear box chips in the modules that will dissipate extra power and limit form factor reduction.

Paul

From: John_DAmbrosia@xxxxxxxx [mailto:John_DAmbrosia@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:20 PM
To: Kolesar, Paul; STDS-802-3-400G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [802.3_400G] Breakout Functionality Objective

Paul,

As demonstrated in the CFI 40G servers are already being deployed.  This will grow.

One thing I would note though is something that Brad brought up earlier, which I support. The aggregate of higher density support for 40G does not mean that the aggregate itself would necessarily have to add up to 400G.  Think 8x50 for example.  We could run that at 8 ports of 40G, the aggregate is not 400G, but the breakout function has been supported.

John