Re: [802.3_400G] Breakout Functionality Objective

All,

The breakout concept appears to me to be most important for usage scenarios of optical technology.  I am not seeing the need for it to extend to the architecture of the 400G MAC and PCS necessarily.  I had originally put forward the concept of technology reuse to take technology from the current Ethernet rate to build optical interfaces for the next Ethernet rate.  A common module implementation could be seen to be N  ports of current Ethernet rate or one port of the next Ethernet rate, where the next Ethernet rate is N time the current Ethernet rate.  In all of this, it was forward looking.

The industry has been working post-haste by enabling an optical interface for 40GE by reusing the optical technology found in 10GBASE-LR, where the 40GBASE-R PCS is used to create a four-lane parallel single mode (PSM4) solution.  No 40G Ethernet PMD has been defined in this regard.  Its growing prevalence might justify its eventual inclusion in the 802.3 standard.  We did not define this PMD in the 802.3ba task force because, I believe, we were not aware there would be any market acceptance.

We now have a much different understanding of potential market acceptance and potential market volume for parallel single mode fiber solutions.

Jeff