[802.3_400G] Nov Meeting Success!

Dear Study Group Participants,

I would like to take a moment to thank everyone for all of the hard work put into preparing for this week’s meeting and all of the successful consensus building.

The following objectives were adopted at this week’s meeting –

·         Support a BER of better than or equal to 10-13 at the MAC/PLS service interface (or the frame loss ratio equivalent)

·         Provide physical layer specifications which support link distances of:

o   At least 100 m over MMF

o   At least 500 m over SMF

o   At least 2 km over SMF

o   At least 10 km  over SMF

I have updated the top level summary of adopted objectives @ http://www.ieee802.org/3/400GSG/project_docs/Objectives_13_1114.pdf.

A review of this summary will reveal that we have as a near complete list of project objectives.  This will help to focus the group now as we respond to the 5 Criteria and look at updating our draft PAR.  As I noted at the close of the meeting, I will begin work on assessing the materials presented to date in relation to the 5C in order to identify missing gaps.  I intend to forward this to the Study Group page to help provide guidance on presentations for the January meeting.

Given this development and after discussion with the Study Group meeting attendees, I reported back to the WG that I am optimistic that we will be requesting our PAR in March.  However, this does require a lot of effort over the next couple of months to complete the rest of our project documentation.  So, we need to keep pushing forward!

Congratulations to the Study Group on all of the progress made at this week’s meeting.

Regards,

John D’Ambrosia

Chair, IEEE 802.3 400 Gb/s Ethernet Study Group