Re: [802.3_400G] 802.3 400Gb/s Ethernet Study Group Logic ad hoc

Hi Mark,

Another consideration when exploring PCS architectures is OTN
compatibility.

As pointed in multiple contributions, two primary initial applications
are in the central office for server to server and server to transport
links. The optics used for these applications are multi-rate, if we use
40G and 100G as a guide, for example supporting both 100GbE and OTU-4
for 100G links. For 400G we should expect that optics will support
400GbE and OTU-5 rates. This leads to the desire to maximize the
commonality between optical specifications and functionality between
400GbE and OTU-5. If 400GbE PCS requires block muxing, then the OTU-5
functionality maybe different if OTU-5 retains bit muxing. Further, the
performance maybe different as the FEC is applied differently to the bit
streams. This could increase verification and test time.

Having the PCS definition result in different optics functionality
between 400GbE and OTU-5 modes would not make it OTN incompatible, but
would complicate OTN support.

Chris