[802.3_400G] Clarification

400G Applications Ad Hoc participants:

In our January 8 web conference, John D’Ambrosia used an earlier slide shown below from LightCounting that illustrated the state of adoption of data rates.

This drew a few questions and my answers may have confused things.  After consulting with Vladimir Kozlov, our founder who produced the curves, I’d like to offer the following clarifications:

·        The curves are intended to depict the state of adoption.  They are normalized to volume so while it is true that 40G in Telecom is smaller, that doesn’t influence the state of adoption.

·        The curves are based on historical and forecast data of all optical transceivers, not just Ethernet.

·        In the Datacom curves, the data entirely reflects Ethernet modules.

·        In the Telecom curves, the 10G and 40G curves depict SONET and DWDM modules.  40G-FR Ethernet modules would be considered Telecom but consumption is small.  Much of the 100G volume in Telecom is Ethernet modules as there is no SONET equivalent for the client side connections.  Those connections are generally 100G-LR4 10 km and 10x10G MSA 2 km modules.

Thank you,

Dale Murray