Re: [STDS-802-3-400G] Cole Presentation

So it sounds like we can expect a contribution on said economics in the near future?

From: Chris Cole [mailto:chris.cole@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2014 11:40 AM
To: Brian Welch; STDS-802-3-400G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-3-400G] Cole Presentation

Hi Brian,

Here is the sentence from my email:

“It has nothing to do with reality for datacenter WDM optics being shipped in volume today like 40G LR4 and 100G LR4, … “ So the validity of the assumption that optics costs does not scale linearly with number of wavelengths is being demonstrated in the market place today with real shipping products.

However, I do appreciate your perspective on this. The SiP PIC technology you presented in the 802.3bm and .bj for WDM applications unfortunately does scale linearly with wavelengths. In addition to WDM bandwidth limitation which may require external WDM Mux and DeMux, the laser is in a separate, discrete box, similar in external and internal construction to conventional OSAs. So the addition of each wavelength requires the addition of a box.

However, that is not the approach taken by most vendors integrating WDM optics.

Chris