Re: [STDS-802-3-400G] 400G Electrical Channels

Scott

On a separate email to John/Joel/Vasu I raised the concern defining 50G signaling to address CDAUI-8 applications could potentially tie our hand when defining the high volume cost sensitive 50 GbE based on 1x50G (LAUI).  It will be more constructive to define 50G signaling in the project that also defines 50 GbE,  a clear set of application requirements potentially could drive the consensus something we lack now.

As far as the real 400GbE application 2km/10 km the optics will dominate the module size, a narrower interface will not immediately help.  On the other hand the only PMD the group had consensus to date to adopt has been 400Gbase-SR16 based on CADUI-16,  a CADUI-8 interface will force 400Gbase-SR16 to use an inverse mux/gearbox of some sort.  Considering  break out applications, with 25 GbE standardization under way the right interface will be CDFP with CDAUI-16 and not a CDAUI-8 interface.

Based on the current dynamic of the group, I am not sure we will reach consensus in the bs project on the 50G signaling with both NRZ and PAM4 looking viable to address CADUI-8 applications.  During Q3-14 OIF probably took the right approach by accepting both NRZ and PAM4 as bases for the 50G XSR/VSR/MR interfaces.

Thanks,
Ali Ghiasi
Ghiasi Quantum LLC