[STDS-802-3-400G] Error Floor

Hi

During this afternoon presentation I mentioned that error floor is not just inherent to HOM (PAM4, DMT, etc), during March 2012 bm meeting I reported error floor on the 25G VCSEL NRZ link see page 9.
In my opinion the error floor in this case was due to non-linear response of the VCSEL and slow turn off.
http://www.ieee802.org/3/100GNGOPTX/public/mar12/plenary/ghiasi_02_0312_NG100GOPTX.pdf

Obviously HOM links are more sensitive to the electrical impairment specially from driver to OE device interface plus any non-linear behavior, but non these are fundamental.   As an example PAM4 results shown from M. Mazzini OFC 2015 see page 11 does not show classic high error floor
http://www.ieee802.org/3/100GNGOPTX/public/mar12/plenary/ghiasi_02_0312_NG100GOPTX.pdf

Thanks,
Ali Ghiasi
Ghiasi Quantum LLC