Re: [STDS-802-3-400G] Proposed response to comment #558

Brad

Looking at at the CSD broad market response attach below, I don’t see any issue with current PMD set and the responses in the CSD now that we have 200 GbE objective!
I see it more of a Deja Vu than anything else, remember when we added 40 GbE on the premise of the server market but it was widely successful in the cloud-scale data center because in 2010 the technology did not exist to shrink 100 GbE CFP module into QSFP28 till about 5 years later or two generations.

This was the reason some of us push so hard in March of this year to include 200 GbE as we knew 400 GbE will not be initially a data center solution.  We need two technology evolution to fit 400 GbE into QSFP like form factor!

Until we achieve two technology node evolutions the 400 GbE likely will not be deployed in the data centers but we do have 200 GbE and 400 GbE is an excellent solution for internet exchanges, co-location, wireless infrastructure, service provider, operator, and video distribution.

What you seem to be asking is "wanting bleeding edge technology at lowest cost and size with first generation product", that we have not yet learned how to do!  The 10 GbE took 8 years to get to SFP+, 100 GbE took 5 years to get to QSFP28, 100 GbE probably will take 10 years to get to SFP100, 10 Gbase-T took about 10 years to get to a practical power and cost, etc.

Thanks,
Ali Ghiasi
Ghiasi Quantum LLC