From: Christian BEIA <christian.beia@xxxxxx>
Date: Friday, January 31, 2014 at 6:02 AM
To: Yair Darshan <YDarshan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Fred Schindler <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Dwelley <ddwelley@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Picard, Jean" <jean_picard@xxxxxx>, Chad Jones <cmjones@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Yseboodt, Lennart (lennart.yseboodt@xxxxxxxxxxx)" <lennart.yseboodt@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Abramson, David" <david.abramson@xxxxxx>, "Kousalya Balasubramanian (kousalya.balasubramanian@xxxxxxxxx)" <kousalya.balasubramanian@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Are diode bridges really needed (2).pptx

Hi Guys,

I’m trying to find out if having a defined voltage polarity at the PD PI is an achievable goal.

Please look at the short presentation in attachment. It summarizes the spec we have today.

After this brief research, my understanding is the following:

About Alt-A: reverse polarity at the PD happens only if a MDI-X cable is used and there is no auto-detect mode

About Alt-B: reverse polarity at the PD should never happen.

Are those assumption correct?

If they are correct, I would like to understand if auto-detect mode is a common feature or it is something “advanced”.

I can imagine that a Midspan probably won’t have an auto-detect feature. But what is the reason for using MDI-X cables between the midspan and the PD?

Thank you for any comment

Best regards

Christian

P.S.

Chad,

I’m not using the reflector since I’m not sure I can attach presentations there.

If it is ok I will forward this email to the reflector.