Re: [802.3_4PPOE] Are diode bridges really needed (2).pptx

All,

This is great topic and I’m glad we are having an ad hoc “ad hoc” on this.

My take on this from an “interoperability standards” point of view is that market acceptance could be affected if things plug in and don’t work because of the cross-over patch cable situation (or any cable that crosses over).  This is ‘more invisible’ than for instance a ‘Y’ cable.  What I mean is the data would be fully functional if checked and there would be no splitter visible (for instance), yet the power path would not.

I would also be concerned that existing ‘blind’ injectors would have a much greater and very real ‘safety issue’.

To elaborate on a well know issue, today if a PD gets connected to a ‘blind power injector’ generally it will not be damaged, and will likely just work in many cases (regardless of the polarity of the non-IEEE injector).  As I showed in the last meeting, these blind injectors often have a wall supply adaptor, and a polarized power plug.  Specifically, wall adaptors are notorious for not being standardized for polarity at the DC plug end.  In the case where this adaptor is >> than LPS, without rectifier diodes or fuses, a PD TVS diode could get very hot.  The size of these TVS protection diodes is getting larger due to the increasing cable surge energies now being required by many customers.  I may try and do some experiments to see what would happen with a >>LPS power supply running into a TVS.  I suspect it will be more spectacular than a termination resistor but I plan to do both and let you all know.

There is also added risk during debug in the lab to customers who often use bench supplies instead of PSEs when running and debugging their PDs.  Somehow I feel that there is more than a 50/50 chance it will be hooked up backwards… This is a secondary issue but still worth some consideration.

That being said, at this point, I am in favor of keeping rectifiers in bt PDs but I also understand the counter arguments and would love to see all of the points of view summarized and presented in Beijing.

Regards,

Jeff Heath
Design Center Manager

paper: