Re: [802.3_4PPOE] Are diode bridges really needed (2).pptx

Yair -

I agree - this is why I included my second option, which is perhaps the better one. In cases where the vendor knows it will be a new installation (like lighting in a new building), he can opt to use non-compliant PDs knowing that they will work. Lighting isn't likely to be connected using existing network wiring.

We should only use the first option (autopolarity optional, indication mandatory) if there's an overriding economic benefit to doing so. Such a PD isn't polarity insensitive (so it violates 33.3.1), but at least it does something when it's plugged into a crossover cable.

My point really is to strongly support a single defined polarity for Alt-C in the PSE - just like Alt-B.

Dave