Re: [802.3_4PPOE] Are diode bridges really needed (2).pptx

Hi all,
I understand that Plug&Play would be the perfect solution.
But since we are talking about power I see some problems anyway (not strictly related to diode broges or FETs).

When one of us will have a .bt PD in his/her hands, and will try to plug it to generic ethernet cables, the chances to be fully powered will be small.

 - The PSE needs to be .bt, if not it will be underpowered.
 - The infrastucture needs to be correctly sized. We are spending much time to define max bundle size with respect to cable class. Using a wrong cable may cause excessive voltage drop or overheating.

So the whole system has to be checked. If not the customer would be disappointed.

I can't imagine to buy a 70W lamp or gigabit ethernet access point, and live without using it at full power.

Best regards
Christian

Jean,

I agree that efficiency and PD cost is important factors. The question is if the cost of not having plug&play is balanced or not.

System wise; what cost more?

Yair