Re: [802.3_4PPOE] Use Cases for next Task Force Meeting

Hi Faisal, All,

Some use cases are shown below.  I've also followed the use cases with some related information that may be of interest to the group.
Use Cases:

Short Channels:  2 cables 2 connectors, where:

    The 2 connectors are in the form of a Jack-Jack coupler,
    The 2 cables are any combination of the following widely available lengths:
    0.5ft, 1ft, 0.5m, 3ft, 1m, 1.5m, 5ft, 6ft, 2m.
    with wire gauges of 26, 24, (widely available) and 23, 22 (less common, but possible).

Connector use cases, where one or more connections are open or have high resistance:

    A connector not fully inserted
    A dislodged connector due to a broken or compressed locking tab
    Off-the-shelf connectors not compliant to TIA specs (#1 below)

Here's two references that may be of interest to the group on this topic:
    1)  The attached pdf presentation contains information regarding commercially available connectors that don't meet TIA specs.
    2)  Comments made by Sterling Vaden, chairman of TIA 42.7, the TIA subcommittee on Copper Cabling Systems, in an article which can be found at:
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2167079/tech-primers/cat-8--tia-performance-standards-committee-chairman-previews-parameters-of-forthcoming-.html
A couple of comments from this article follow:

Comment #1
Most likely composed of four shielded copper twisted pairs, with the similar overall diameter as Category 6A and Category 7A cables, the Category 8 cabling system under development also will use the popular modular RJ-45 style of connectors.  The intention of the Category 8 standard is to be fully backward-compatible with the previous Category 6A and lower standards.
Comment #2
Vaden says the obvious way to overcome cable insertion loss is to make the cable bigger. That's not likely to happen because there are a number of design considerations that restrict moving to larger cable conductors than those being manufactured now. Plus, in Vaden's view, using larger gauges would make the cable too big and bulky. Therefore, the practical gauge limit for copper, twisted-pair cables has, for all intents and purposes, already been established with Category 6A and 7A cables at a maximum of 22 AWG.

This implies 1)  22AWG exists now and may become more common in the future.  2)  Larger gauges than 22AWG based on the TIA standard are unlikely.

Best Regards,
Ken