Re: [802.3_4PPOE] POWER_DENIED

Agree.

Yair

From: Peter Johnson [mailto:peter_johnson@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2015 12:27 AM
To: STDS-802-3-4PPOE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_4PPOE] POWER_DENIED

EXTERNAL EMAIL

Dan et al:

802.3at is predicated on a PSE as a single port entity, even though reality is most PSE’s are multi-port entities with shared power resource.

The Power Denied state provides a “convenient” mechanism to allow for PSE’s that are “budgeting” power to cycle the state machine (in compliance) without ever powering.   If all PSE’s were truly single port devices, this would not be so important and might well be treated as a FAULT.

But reality should probably prevail and treat this as an “ordinary” behavior of a PSE.   This includes the case where the PSE is making that decision after furnishing power (the “D” tagged branch out of POWER_ON).

So I’d vote “NO FAULT”!

Regards,

Pete Johnson,

Sifos