[802.3_4PPOE] System Unbalance Examples

Hey all,

We had a TDL out of D2.0 to address 4-pair unbalance requirements and test methods. Particularly, we have shown that compliant and practical PSE implementations will fail the Annex 33B test methods for Icon-2p-unb.

Attached, find a presentation where we show PSE unbalance calculations for 2 example cases: Practical PSE implementations failing test methods for Class 5 and Class 6.

Please consider this an invitation to start a conversation on what we can all accept for system unbalance requirements. The prescriptive text for R_pse and R_source requirements, as well as the unbalance test methods, could likely be greatly simplified if we reach consensus on practical PSE and PD unbalance requirements.

Michael Paul
Design Section Lead
Linear Technology
911 Olive St.