Re: [802.3_4PPOE] TDL - Use of word channel in clause 33

Val & Christian & all –

The intent of this has already been addressed.  Christian seems to have fallen into the trap that we are amending only 802.3-2015.

Instead, we are amending 802.3-2015 as amended by the 9 other amendments that have gone before us. Yes, it’s been a busy year and hard to keep track.

802.3by already addressed this issue in large part, by changing the definition of channel in 1.4.134.

The definition of channel we SHOULD be using is:

1.4.134 channel: In 10BROAD36, a band of frequencies dedicated to a certain service transmitted on the

broadband medium. Otherwise, a defined path along which data in the form of an electrical or optical signal

passes. (For 10BROAD36, sSee IEEE Std 802.3, Clause 11.)

other than the explicit reference to link section, which I think is unnecessary, because the definition is generic enough to refer to either link segment or link section, and the possibility that we might consider power not an electrical “signal”, (in which case, a simple amendment to make it signal or power should suffice), this comment seems to be OBE by 802.3by-2016.

Please, let’s not create extra work for either ourselves or the whole rest of 802.3…

-george