Re: [802.3_4PPOE] Type 4 PD

OK, so the path of various solutions has gotten convoluted, and Heath pointed out to me offline that we need to straighten out Lennart & Andrea’s different parts.  This combination seems to work:

1.4.418aa Type 3 PD: A single-signature PD that requests Class 1 to Class 6, or a dual-signature PD that requests Class 1 to Class 4 on both Modes during Physical Layer classification, implements

Multiple-Event classification, and accepts power on both Modes simultaneously. (See IEEE 802.3, Clause 145).

1.4.418ac Type 4 PD: A single-signature PD that requests Class 7 or
Class 8, or a dual-signature PD that request Class 5 on at least one
Mode during Physical Layer classification, implements Multiple-Event
classification, is capable of Data Link Layer classification, and
accepts power on both Modes simultaneously. (See IEEE 802.3, Clause
145).

One minor thing is that we can expect a comment on both of these that it reads like any single-sig class 1 to 6 (type 3,  or 8 for type 4) is a type 3,4 PD; while a dual-sig requires the additional features listed.  The English doesn’t parse uniquely like a logic equation.  What I was trying to wrap my head around was whether there was a reordering or rephrasing that made it clear that the logic was: ( (SS = class 7 + class 8) + (DS = maxclass 5) ) * (features).

Breaking these into two sentences might work:

1.4.418aa Type 3 PD: A single-signature PD that requests Class 1 to Class 6, or a dual-signature PD that requests Class 1 to Class 4 on both Modes during Physical Layer classification.  Additionally, the PD implements Multiple-Event classification, and accepts power on both Modes simultaneously. (See IEEE 802.3, Clause 145).

1.4.418ac Type 4 PD: A single-signature PD that requests Class 7 or Class 8, or a dual-signature PD that request Class 5 on at least one Mode during Physical Layer classification.  Additionally,  the PD implements Multiple-Event classification, is capable of Data Link Layer classification, and accepts power on both Modes simultaneously. (See IEEE 802.3, Clause 145).