Re: [802.3_4PPOE] PD Transients (yseboodt_04)

Hi Joris, Lennart,

Based upon this discussion, I referred to the PSE section to try to determine what is actually interoperable.  Figures 145-24 and 145-25 show the lower bound limits of what a PSE must support.  These limits have the current transient (Ilim) region up to Tlim min, and then there's an immediate drop to Ipeak (which is calculated with Ppeak_PD).  If Ttransient starts at the beginning of the transient and ends at the existing limits, then interoperability is guaranteed.  If we change this rule to start Ttransient at the end of the step, then the PSE may shut down the PD if it doesn't meet Ipeak immediately after Tlim_min (in fig. 145-24/25).

Note that the lower bound Ipeak and Icon limits at the PSE are all voltage dependent by the equations used to generate them.  At the end voltage of the TR1,2 steps, the PSE Ipeak and Icon lower-bound limit values are lower: If we assume that a PSE would never instantly decrease it's current output capability to meet this new lower boundary, then there is a valid reason to extend the time for Ttransient.

Best Regards,

Ken