Re: [802.3_4PPOE] Updated yseboodt_01

Lennart & co.  –

Sorry I missed out on all the fun in 802.3bt today.  Sometimes you just have to move at high speed and I was in 100G 😊

Thanks for putting this together, it is providing a clearer picture of the unbalance currents and what we say in the draft.

You asked “Does TIA TSB-184-A only deal with Type 4 current unbalance ? As written, the note suggest Type 3 systems

may not have current unbalance..”

The differentiation of type 3 and type 4 systems probably stems from an editorial error in the past.  TSB-184 doesn’t do anything that distinguishes Type 3 from Type 4 systems – in fact, it doesn’t mention or reference type 4.  However, there is a bigger issue.  In fact, TIA-TSB-184-A NEVER mentions current unbalance at all.    Why TIA-TSB-184-A was references, was because it talks about RESISTANCE unbalance of the cabling.  It refers to both the intra-pair and the inter-pair unbalance.  These should effect both type 3 and type 4 systems.

Therefore, the note, which you are editing:

NOTE — The current per pairset on the pairs may be impacted by pair-to-pair system resistance unbalance. See

145.2.10.5.1. For additional information on Type 4 current unbalance, see TIA TSB-184-A [Bx1] and ISO/IEC TS

29125.

Should read something like

NOTE — The current per pairset on the pairs may be impacted by pair-to-pair system resistance unbalance. See

145.2.10.5.1. For additional information on Type 4 current pair-to-pair resistance unbalance in structured cabling systems, see TIA TSB-184-A [Bx1] and ISO/IEC TS

29125.

George A. Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal Consultant

CME Consulting, Inc.

Experts in PHYsical Layer Communications

1-310-920-3860

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx