Re: [802.3_4PPOE] Backfeed issue - Analysis of the issue and proposals for a solution

Hi all,

the highest level of PoE interoperability is obtained if PSE’s supporting 4-pair power switch both conductors of their Secondary Alternative.

As stated in 145.4.1.1:

That’s the only way Type3 and Type4 PSE’s are guaranteed not to cause any issue with Type1 and Type2 PD’s.

Existing (single-signature) Type1 and Type2 PD’s were never designed to support 3-pair power, only real 2-pair.

A Type3 and Type4 PSE can in general not see the difference between a single-signature Type3 PD requesting Class 1 to 4 and a Type1 or Type2 PD

based on the detection and classification process. Therefor the classification, power_up and power_on of these PD’s should be 2-pair then.

As Type3 and Type4 PSE would then already be able to do classification (and power_up) over 2-pair, they could do so:

-        during classification and power_up for single-signature PD’s requesting Class 5 to 6

-        during classification for single-signature PD’s requesting Class 7 to 8

When a Class 5 to 8 PD is powered over 4-pair there can be no backfeed.

Then basically there is no reason anymore to extend the backfeed requirement to 3-pair.

As such, to promote the highest level of PoE interoperability PSE’s supporting 4-pair power must be able to switch both conductors of their Secondary Alternative.

Best Regards,

Joris Lemahieu

Application Engineer

ON Semiconductor