[802.3_50G] Back Plane Loss Discussion

All

My apologies for not starting this discussion sooner.

I understand the there is a lot of push-back for a 50G interface 32dB@14Ghz.
I would guess the reason is power related.

My argument is that if the limit is 25dB or 28dB, a significant amount of retimers will be required. And therefore the power per link will be almost double anyway.  So power isn’t an argument.

However, I would conceded to a lower loss level if we all agreed to completely define the retimer block and recognize it as a valid block function.

Take care
Joel