Re: [802.3_50G] Back Plane Loss Discussion

More powerful Si is more power too.

…Rich

From: Joel Goergen (jgoergen) [mailto:jgoergen@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2016 11:49 AM
To: Mellitz, Richard; STDS-802-3-50G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Back Plane Loss Discussion

I agree with you … but what margin are you looking for?

In the designs I target, 25dB has no value.  I would need retimers.  Retimers add space and power.  So if I add them on more then 50% of the links, then I should just as well set the power level to what I need it for to set the retimer number back into the 20ish% links requiring retimers.

Take care

Joel