From: Mark Nowell (mnowell) [mailto:mnowell@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 10:00 AM
To: STDS-802-3-50G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_50G] CAUI-4 operating modes

Thanks Ali,

I guess my main point is that if the new additional proposed AUIs result in there being a different data pattern or signal on the physical media (different FEC, different PCS architecture, or different bit rate) then it isn’t as simple as just adding that additional AUI in isolation.

Your example of XSBI is consistent with this.  We can add new AUIs in isolation as much as we want either in IEEE or in MSAs.  We saw 10GBASE-R running over XSBI (16 lanes), XAUI (4 lanes), XFI (1 lane) and SFI (1 lane).  But in all those cases the PCS was unchanged and the bits on the physical media where unchanged for a particular PHY through all those different AUIsso we had guaranteed interop, regardless of implementation.  You can still connect a 10GE port using SFP modules and SFI AUI to a 10GE port using a 300 pin module and XSBI today (if you can find one).

Since we seem to love trawling back through the spec to see how we did things in the past, I’d suggest looking at 10GE where we defined the XSBI.  We had a backwards compatibility goal there with OC192 and handled that with the definition of the WIS layer (Cl 50).  If you look at the 10GE introduction section table (Table 44-1) you can see where the WIS was included it was associated with  unique PHYs (10GBASE-W) since the bits on the wire were different and wouldn’t interoperate with the other 10GBASE-R PHYs.

Please be very clear, I’m not saying what you are proposing can’t be done.  I’m just pointing out that from an IEEE perspective where our goal is to develop interoperable specs it is not as simple as just adding in an optional AUI in isolation and we therefore need to work through what needs to be done so the SG understands what is actually being asked of it.

Mark