Re: [802.3_50G] 200GbE will be Different and Lower Cost/bit than 400GbE

Jeff,

You do raise a good point about 2 lane interfaces to servers.  When I interviewed Alan Weckel of Dell’Oro for the Analyst Hour on “50GE and the Path to 200GE and 400GE” ( available for free at https://www.brighttalk.com/channel/6205/ethernet-alliance), he pointed out how they expect about a million ports of 25G servers will ship and another million ports of 50G (2X25G) servers to ship this year (slide 24).  By 2019, they expect 50G servers to outship 25G server ports by about a million ports (5M to 4M), but the servers will be a mixture of the 50G serial lanes by then.  So I have considered 2 lanes servers and 2 is a nice multiple of 4 as well.

While some 8 lane modules are being proposed like QSFP-DD, CFP8 and On Board Optics, 400GbE is not defining an copper interface for servers or an 8-lane MMF interface.    We can’t break a DR4, FR8 or LR8 out to 50G servers.  400GbE is not for breakout to servers.

As Gary showed in an excellent presentation in the Study Group phase for the 400GbE (http://www.ieee802.org/3/400GSG/public/13_11/nicholl_400_01_1113.pdf), 400GbE is for routers, not servers.  The conclusion of that slide says, “Early market applications for 400 Gb/s Ethernet will be similar to those seen in early market 100 Gb/s Ethernet”.  I agree.  400GbE will not see high volumes until it has 100G lanes and fit in a QSFP.  That will be in the next decade.

What I don’t understand is why people think that 8X interfaces are suddenly going to be low cost when nothing has changed and the speeds are getting more challenging.  Even if we defined an 8X50G MMF interface for 400GbE, the 8X module will not see the volumes that drive cost down like the ubiquitous and beloved QSFP.  Volume drives cost down and investment up.

Can anyone explain how a low volume 400GbE product based on 8 lanes of 50G is going to get to low cost?

Another way to look at this is what will see volume?  A low cost QSFP or a CFP8?  This has played out a couple times now in favor of the QSFP.

These topics have been on my mind quite a bit because I’ll be speaking about this next week at OFC on the Thursday panel called “A Rational Assessment of 400GbE”.  I will argue that FlexE and 100GbE and 200GbE will be more cost effective than 400GbE.  I hope you can make it.

http://www.ofcconference.org/en-us/home/exhibit-hall/market-watch/panel-v-a-rational-assessment-of-400g-ethernet/

Thanks,

Scott