[802.3_B10K] IEEE 802.3 Beyond 10km Optical PHYs Study Group - Sept 2017 Meeting Announcement

Dear Study Group Members,

The IEEE 802.3 Beyond 10km Optical PHYs Study Group will be meeting Thursday Sept 14 to Friday Sept 15 during the IEEE 802.3 Interim Session being held in Charlotte, NC, USA.

The Study Group will be meeting Thursday starting as early as 10am and meet until Friday 5pm.  Please consider this when making your travel arrangements.  Registration and meeting details may be found at https://iplanit.swoogo.com/ieee802-917/47322

You are strongly encouraged to make your reservations as soon as possible.  The deadline for advanced Web registration for these sessions is August 11, 2017.

The motion chartering the formation of the Study Group is as follows

  • Move that the IEEE 802.3 Ethernet Working Group authorizes the formation of a study group to develop a Project Authorization Request (PAR) and Criteria for Standards Development (CSD) responses for “Beyond 10km Optical PHYs for 50 Gb/s, 200 Gb/s, and 400 Gb/s Ethernet”

Therefore, the agenda for the meeting will be to begin the study of Beyond 10km Optical PHYs for 50 Gb/s, 200 Gb/s, and 400 Gb/s Ethernet, and process-related level-setting.

Presentations on the following areas would be highly recommended:

·         Objectives for the Study Group
·          5 Criteria
o    Broad Market Potential
o    Economic Feasibility
o    Technical Feasibility
o    Distinct Identity
o    Compatibility

Anyone wishing to present, please provide the following information (per Procedure for Presenters web page:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/B10K/public/presentproc.html.

Name of presenter

Title of presentation

Length of time requested (this should include time for questions and answers)

Brief description of topic

Presentations should be kept to 20 minutes in duration, excluding time for questions and answers.  Requests for presentation time greater than 20 minutes will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and the requestor should contact the chair prior to making the request to justify the additional time.  Please note that as this is our SG’s first meeting I will be prioritizing process-related level setting presentations.

Furthermore, I encourage individuals to use the Study Group reflector to reach out to others in the spirit of consensus building.  As acting chair, I reserve the right to introduce individuals making similar topic requests in the continuing spirit of this encouragement.

Requests for presentation time must be made two Thursdays preceding the meeting.

For the September Interim meeting, requests for presentation time shall be made to me at jdambrosia@xxxxxxxx  and must be made by August 31, 2017.  The presenter shall e-mail a PDF, soft-copy version of the presentation to me at jdambrosia@xxxxxxxx by Tuesday Sept 5, 2017.

As a reminder, please make sure that all requests for presentations or submissions of presentation material have no restrictive notices at the bottom of the email.  All such emails will be refused and requests / presentations will not be acknowledged.

All individuals submitting presentations should review the Procedures for Presenters Page   http://www.ieee802.org/3/400GSG/public/presentproc.html.

I would greatly appreciate presenters reviewing their own presentations to verify that they have followed the cited Presentation Style Guidelines.

Also, to support the web site search tool used by the IEEE P802.3 web site the 'Document Information' fields of the PDF file must be completed as follows:

Title: Title of presentation

Author: Name(s) of author(s)

Subject: IEEE 802.3bs Beyond 10km Optical PHYs Study Group

As a reminder to the group, we are a contribution driven organization.   It should not be assumed by anyone that work will just get done without contributions to drive it.  Areas not moving forward will be brought to the attention of the Study Group for consideration on how to address.  .

I look forward to seeing everyone in Victoria!

Best Regards,

John D’Ambrosia

Acting Chair, IEEE 802.3 Beyond 10km Optical PHYs Study Group

Tel:       717.503.4512

Email    jdambrosia@xxxxxxxx