[802.3_CU4HDD] Power Consumption of 2.5 and 5G PHYs

Study Group,

Today on the conference call, we reviewed the strawman for the Criteria for Standards Development (CSD).  The 5 criteria proposal can be found here:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/CU4HDDSG/public/archadhoc/CU4HDD%20CSD-DRAFT-Contrib-v1.pdf

Under Technical Feasibility, the key point that I want to discuss is:

·       2.5 Gb/s and 5 Gb/s Ethernet interfaces will provide optimal balance of system cost, component cost, and energy use for the respective sustained bandwidth needs.

I propose that the power consumption of the different implementations at various speeds is the most important factor that we consider in this study group.  There are an abundance of backplane implementations at 1Gb/s and 10Gb/s, so we should be able to see the upper (10G) and lower (1G) bound of the power consumption for existing PMDs.  I am very interested to see how 2.5G and 5G can offer optimal solutions within this range.

Since it looks like all of these backplane speeds will have a reach of 1 meter, the 2.5G and 5G speeds won’t offer much differentiation in applications.  The main differentiation for the new PMDs would be in power consumption.

Will anyone be able to show power consumption estimates and actual measurements for 1G, 2.5G, 5G and 10G backplane PHYs?

Kind regards,

Scott Kipp