Re: [802.3_DMLT] [IEEEE 802.3 DMLT SG] Update DMLT Web site for York

Reflector of IEEE 802.3 DMLT

Below an update of the supporter list of the refined PAR, 5C, Objectives.

I just got one technical argument why someone is not supporting the draft, see topic 1 below. Another feedback was editorial and about an add-on in the scope that I rejected because it was a solution related phrase that should be in the objectives, see Topic 2 below.

These topics will be discussed in York.

Given Name

Name

Employer/Affiliation

Albert

Tretter

Siemens

Anatoly

Moldovansky

Rockwell Automation

Christian

Boiger

Self

Dan

Sexton

GE

Gunther

Craig

Harman

Hans

Weibel

ZHAW

Helge

Zinner

Continental

Howard

Frazier

Broadcom

Hugh

Barrass

Cisco

Kirsten

Matheus

BMW

Ludwig

Winkel

Siemens

Ludwig

Leurs

Bosch Rexroth

Markus

Jochim

GM

Michael

Johas Teener

Broadcom

Michael

Schaffert

Robert Bosch GmbH

Mitsuru

Iwaoka

Yokogawa Electric Co.

Oliver

Kleineberg

Hirschmann

Pat

Thaler

Broadcom

Rodney

Cummings

NI

Thomas

Hogenmueller

Robert Bosch GmbH

Yong

Kim

Broadcom

Alphabetical order of 1st name.

Topic 1:

My personal concern is with this objective:

6. Support speeds of 100 Mb/s and higher, at the MAC/PLS service interface.

I believe that this standard is really targeted at 100 Mb/s and 1Gb/s, is that true?

For 10 Gb/s, 40, 100, 400 Gb/s there is no valid reason to do the fragmentation for the target markets of this technology?

I would hate to see the complexity of MACs at 100/400 Gb/s go way up to support a checkoff item such as DMLT when there is not a valid market need.

In other words, why not limit this technology to just 100M and 1G?

Topic 2:

To add in PAR 5.2.b at the end: over a single link segment

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With best regards,
Ludwig Winkel

   Chair of IEEE 802.3 SG DMLT

   Chair of IEC SC65C/WG17

   Chair of IEC SC65C/MT9

Siemens AG , I IA SC FC
Oestliche Rheinbrueckenstr. 50
76187 Karlsruhe, Germany
Tel.: +49 721 595-6098
Mobile: +49 172 6132658
mailto:ludwig.winkel@xxxxxxxxxxx

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Gerhard Cromme; Managing Board: Joe Kaeser, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer; Roland Busch, Brigitte Ederer, Klaus Helmrich, Barbara Kux, Hermann Requardt, Siegfried Russwurm, Peter Y. Solmssen, Michael Suess; Registered offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany; Commercial registries: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322